Tuesday, June 21, 2011

So what do you do?  "I'm a writer", I answer.  What kinds of things do you write? " Oh, poetry, party-planning guides, short stories, I guess a little bit of everything."  A sudden look of disapproval flashes over the interviewer's face.  After all, to be taken seriously as a writer one must concentrate on one genre, right?  Perhaps my problem is I haven't found my voice, or maybe it's because I hear too many voices.  There are so many things to write about, so many projects in my head, so much to be said, and, to tell the truth, I like saying it.  I like saying it all.  So until the ideas quit coming or my mind becomes so focused on one thing that I can see nothing else, I guess I will keep exploring the world of words and the many ways to string them together. So here's to the next few projects:  a barbecue party-planning guide, a movie script, a science fiction book my son wants me to write and a book on home-schooling that my daughter is encouraging me to write.  That should keep me busy for the next few months :)

No comments:

Post a Comment